Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lost in Psalm


Do you have a favorite book in the bible?  Do you find yourself drawn to a particular book or chapter?

I often find myself tugged into the the psalms of David. His ups and downs speak to my soul.  In one psalm he confesses, "For my sins have flooded over my head; they are a burden to heavy for me to bear. My wounds are foul and festering because of my foolishness .... So I confess my guilt; I am anxious because of my sin."  Then he cries out, "LORD, do not abandon me; my God, do not be far from me. Hurry to help me, Lord, my Savior!"  [Psalm 38]

Later, you witness the calming of his turmoiled heart, "I am at rest in God alone; m y salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I will never be shaken."  And again, several verses later, he repeats, "Rest in God alone, my soul, for my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation. my stronghold; I will not be shaken." [Psalm 62]

I can always find a glimpse of myself within his prayerful songs. I begin reading, and cannot stop, often going through chapters and chapters of his songs, crying out to God when he cries out to God, praising God as he praises God.

As I sit legs crossed beneath me on the couch with our makeshift coffee table (a dumpster find) pulled too me and bible and notebook placed atop, the sun suddenly breaks through the clouds and pours it's light directly upon my bible.  The beauty of it takes my breath away.  It is as if God is highlighting the bible, pouring His love upon the words I am reading, and I feel overwhelmed by the Spirit.

"God, You are my God; I eagerly seek You. I thirst for You; my body faints for You in a land that is dry, desolate, and without water. So I gaze on You in the sanctuary to see Your strength and Your glory.  My lips will glorify You because Your faithful love is better than life. So I will praise You as long as I live; at Your name, I will lift up my hands."  [Psalm 63]

I want to shout along with David, "How awe-inspiring are Your works!"

How can it be that such a Mighty, Amazing, Most High God- the one who made heaven and earth and spoke all of creation into existence, is mindful of me?  Small, little, sinful me.

This Big, Big God.... He loves me.  His "right hand holds on to me" [Psalm 63:8].  He is always generous, always lending, pouring out His blessings upon his children so abundantly! [37:26]

It is amazing that the very God whose power and might causes me to tremble cares me for me, loves me as a daughter.  May I never lose my amazement over Him! May my passion and awe of my God increase day to day!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I love the way you see Him in those things, like the sun shining through, lighting up your God time. So cool. Good for you.

    I struggle with Psalms because it's hard to me to read the plea for "pile burning embers on their heads" kind of destruction focussed prayers. I really (thankfully) have a hard time connecting to what David was experiencing and how the fall of another would be the "praise" of his song. I do LOVE the Glory to God Praise stuff, and how many songs I know with those very lyrics today. :)

    It's good and encouraging to hear that someone like you loves Psalms relates to them. I look forward to the growing that brings me to better understand and embrace them myself.

    ReplyDelete